Fag


My company recently took in some "summer workers" I usually have nothing to do with these "workers" unless absolutely necessary, I placed workers in inverted commas because they only work when the big boss is around, anyway.... one of them is obviously homophobic...during lunch he called one of the other guys a fag for sitting too close to him. I got angry, got up and punched him in the face....it happened like that in my head.Reality wise I ignored them, and continued having my lunch. The guy who the insult was hurled at shot back "yuh feel i on boys like you" and pulled himself further away. I laughed a little, not at any of the name calling, but at the fact that these guys treat being gay as some sort of contagious killer disease. If it was, everyone in that lunch room would be gay plus the fact that they are not the best looking guys around - i don't think any guy would look at them twice, ok ok let me speak for myself, i wouldn't look at them twice...yet in their minds every guy or gay man is seemingly "after" them. I know this wouldn't be the last time i hear these degrading words, I'm trying my best not to let this affect me but I'm angry and hurt, to be gay in Trinidad puts u lower than a dog in the streets in these guys eyes....its sad to say but there are many out there who share this view....yet another reason i hesitate to tell any close str8ies about my sexual preference.

7 comments:

SunSoakerB said...

It's not just Trinidad, I think it's a Caribbean thing. And for what ever reason people just think of gay people as having a contagious disease, once someone gay or lesbian they want to stay away. Like being gay means you're attracted to everybody of the same sex, it's ridiculous, they deal with pedophiles much better.

Pilgrim said...

To my knowledge fag means a cigarette. So, don´t get too upset. Propz Pilgrim

Anonymous said...

Boy, that's one thing indeed. You begin to wonder how they could be so vain as to think that you'd like them if you were gay but you have to remember they don't even understand why they like women!
So don't expect too much from them.

I used to feel lower than a dog myself, but after a while I stopped caring.
You see I look at them and feel pitiful that they don't really understand themselves much less other people and that is how I deal with comments like that.

I don't want to cultivate a sense that I am smarter than they are but in this instance that is the case. On the topic of sexuality they (i.e. most straight people) are not very bright and cannot be expected to be.
So don't expect too much from them.

From time to time you'll meet straight people who are understanding and tolerant (and they are out there especially online; many read my blog and yours and live in Trini to boot!). Also you'll meet straight people who are willing to learn. There are plenty of those too. You just have to take them as you get them yes...

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. I hope that did to sound too arrogant lol.
Straight people aren't "dumb" when they don't understand they're just without knowledge.

The Blue Wolf said...

@ Bianca: Its true they think if they sit close to a gay man/ woman for some reason they will start being gay.They make me feel so contagious sometimes.

@Pilgrim: I wish that's what it meant here in Trinidad, but the word FAG is like the biggest insult you can tell a man/boy.

@A.Friend: Naw you didn't sound arrogant, str8ies are dumb without knowledge. :)

Fiyu Pikni said...

A few days ago I was with two of my closest Jamaican friends (most of my friends live abroad), who are not homophobic, and are actually quite enlightened about human sexuality. However, Jamaican culture and language is so heterosexist, and homophobic, that whenever we speak to each other in Jamaican Creole the word "batiman" comes up more often than I would like. I've learnt not to take it personally. People don't realize the homophobic hate they perpetuate every time they use the word with a negative connotation (which is always). It'll take some time/ decades before that changes.

Fiyu Pikni said...

I always say, straight guys think of themselves to highly. We like guys, but we are not indiscriminate.